nGage - Engage with your Subscribers
nGage gathers data in real-time from subscribers interacting with your content. This data is analysed in multiple dimensions using machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to make “offers” in real-time to subscribers for related products, services and events.
The data captured includes usage patterns during subscriber interactions with content, along with location and temporal information to add context to subscriber interactions.
Where can nGage be used?
AlfaSage provide nGage as a software library that can be integrated within any web site or app that runs on a PC, tablet or smartphone. The library communicates with the nGage Engine, which is a service that runs on our servers.
AlfaSage use nGage within the e92 showcase for music publishers, but we use it in exactly the same way that anyone else would use nGage within their own system.
Where does the ad money go?
Monetizing content based services within a web site is increasingly difficult. However, budgets for advertising and marketing to online services are huge in comparison.
The platforms run by Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix and Google (FAANGs) take a large chunk of the online advertising and marketing budgets, however, the revenue passed on to people running web sites within these platforms is small...unless you have +1m subscribers or followers!
Offers are extended recommendations for products and services related to the subscriber’s consumption.
On many web sites, recommendations are made for content that is only available within the web site. They are usually triggered when content is watched, and often recommend similar content within the web site or present discount options and multi-buys packages of content.
With nGage, the scope of an offer goes beyond a recommendation for streaming content, and could be:
- content sensitive - based on the current content, such as discounts or advertising
- context sensitive - linked to the content currently being consumed
- location sensitive - offers for merchandise when at a venue or passing a shop
- time sensitive - 1/2 price between 8pm and 9pm, or
- any combination of the above - 10% off drinks during the interval when at a specific venue
How does nGage work?
The web site or app captures subscriber interactions, such as navigation around the user interface or interactions with content (e.g. play, pause, skip, etc.).
These interactions are passed to the nGage library on the client device, where they are filtered and pre-processed on the client before being sent to the nGage server. The nGage server uses the current data to maintain a "context" for the user session in real-time, and merges this with historic data to add previous behaviour and usage patterns to the context.
nGage uses a blend of machine learning and artificial intelligence techniques to generate a series of targeted offers based on the context. These offers are sent to the client to actively engage with the user during the session.
Benefits to the customer
In real-time, nGage enables customers to accurately target the marketing of their content and related services to subscribers. Getting feedback from their subscribers and understanding the viewing behaviour of subscribers, enable you to react quickly and accurately to the actions and behaviour of your subscribers.
This text is set by default and is suitable for edit in real time. By default the drag and drop core feature will allow you to position it anywhere on the site. Get creative & Make Web.
Moving away from YouTube and Facebook
Publishers are starting to build their own content delivery network so it can be “self branded”, and not tied to the companion branding of YouTube, Facebook and other 3rd party platforms.
It’s not easy to make “serious” money from YouTube or Facebook and channel creators with millions of subscribers struggle to make a few hundred dollars a month. YouTube and Facebook are convenient for low-cost starts, but not for long-term monetization.
YouTube and Facebook also censor content based on many criteria, not just the obvious. This means that publishers are no longer in control of their content as content may be deemed “controversial” and censored by a 3rd party’s standards, not theirs.
Generating revenue using nGage
There are 5 ways that revenue can be generated using nGage.
- The easiest way to generate revenue is through offering content that users are prepared to pay a subscription for. This involved no 3rd parties, and off of the revenue generate is retained by you. Subscriptions can be based on content type, location, time and/or context. You could introduce time restricted plans, time based discounts and loyalty rewards.
- In-app advertising is the starting point for many web sites, with the positioning of banner advertising on pages within the web site. For web sites that present streaming content, ads can be placed when a stream starts playing (pre-roll), during playout at fixed intervals or at natural breaks (interstitial), or when the stream stops playing either at the end or when the viewer presses stop (post-roll).
- Through affiliation with other companies, either when clicking through from an ad to their web site, or by pushing their content and ads to your users.
- Selling the anonymized data of your users and subscribers. This could also include behavioural data, depending on it’s detail, quality, consistency and integrity.
- Location based advertising links the users proximity to discounts and rewards, as well as location based advertising and merchandising.